Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. :D
by adifresco
05 Dec 2009, 21:30
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Help Writing Second Letter to Italy
Replies: 1
Views: 2891

Help Writing Second Letter to Italy

I wrote a letter to the town of Frisa in Chieti requesting the birth certificate of my great-grandfather Giovanni Di Fresco (born September 28, 1895 or 1896). I recently received a reply telling me that the record could not be found. I think that his birth name could be just "Giovanni Fresco&qu...
by adifresco
05 Dec 2009, 21:08
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Di Fresco - Advice on a Dead End
Replies: 13
Views: 7477

Re: Di Fresco - Advice on a Dead End

Thanks so much for the advice, johnnyonthespot... I will definitely be writing new letters explaining that the last name may be Fresco. If the birth record still can't be found, what should I try next? Someone else mentioned his marriage certificate. I know that my great-grandparents were married on...
by adifresco
05 Dec 2009, 03:26

For the surname, I think it was always Di Fresco and the Di was left out by mistake on the manifest. There are other Di Frescos who also came from Frisa, and even some who still live there. You may be correct, however there are also Fresco's in modern-day Frisa . For Italy as a whole , Fresco is ac...
by adifresco
04 Dec 2009, 23:45

In both of the letters I wrote (to Frisa and Chieti), I made it clear that he could have been born in 1895 or 1896. I'm almost positive that he lied about being 18 when he immigrated, because every other record lists his birth year as 1895 or 1896. For the surname, I think it was always Di Fresco an...
by adifresco
04 Dec 2009, 19:12

Di Fresco - Advice on a Dead End

Di Fresco - Advice on a Dead End I've been trying to trace my Italian genealogy for a while now, but it's turned out to be much more difficult than I thought. My great-grandfather's name was Giovanni Di Fresco, and from what I know he was born somewhere in the province of Chieti on September 28, 189...
by adifresco
08 Jan 2009, 20:18
Topic: Perrazio
Replies: 4
Views: 4905

Re: Perrazio

Thanks.... Biella seems like a good possibility. It's strange though because I've searched every possible New York immigration and naturalization record available, and I can't find anyone with a name and birthdate that's even close. Does anyone know anything about the surname Torpe? I don't think it...
by adifresco
08 Jan 2009, 05:36
Topic: Perrazio

Perrazio

My great-grandmother's name was Sabina DiFresco (maiden name Perrazio). I'm not certain about the spelling... I've seen it spelled Perrazio, Perazio, Perriazio, and Perrazzio in different records. Up until this point, I assumed that it was the more common surname Perazzo, but I was wrong. She was bo...
by adifresco
21 Dec 2008, 04:47
Topic: Deciphering handwriting from immigration record
Views: 11741

Re: Deciphering handwriting from immigration record

Thanks so much! I'm fairly certain it has to be Adamo Scena. I did a Google search and found this page written by a descendent of Adamo: http://www.alphasolutionsgrp.com/Scena%20memories.pdf It says that the family came from Chieti. It even says that Adamo lived on Sheaff Street in Boston around 191...
by adifresco
20 Dec 2008, 07:33

Re: Deciphering handwriting from immigration record

Thanks for all of the help. I guess I'll have to find some other source to know for sure what this name is. I tried looking at every entry on Sheaffe Street in the 1910 U.S. Federal Census for Boston. Took me about an hour to get through all of it, and I still didn't have anything that's a definite ...
by adifresco
17 Dec 2008, 21:19

Deciphering handwriting from immigration record

A while back, I found an immigration record of my great-grandfather coming to New York from Italy in 1912. I can read everything on it, except the column that says "Whether going to join a relative or friend; and if so, what relative or friend, and his name and complete address." I can tel...
by adifresco
05 Dec 2008, 20:15
Topic: History of the Di Fresco surname?

Re: History of the Di Fresco surname?

Thanks for the help. I'm almost certain that the name Di Fresco must have originated in Palermo. I did a search to determine where the name is most common in Italy, and found this: http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=DI%20FRESCO&t=cognomi-prov This map shows that presently, the v...
by adifresco
04 Dec 2008, 21:07
Topic: History of the Di Fresco surname?

History of the Di Fresco surname?

I've managed to trace my Italian ancestors a few generations back, and I have yet to hear an explanation as to what our last name DiFresco means. Does anyone know? Is there a town or some place in Italy known as Fresco? I can't seem to find one. Is it a shortened version of Di Francesco or a similar...
by adifresco
04 Nov 2007, 22:10
Topic: Surname Perazzo?
Replies: 21
Views: 15382

Re: Surname Perazzo?

Interesting record. Note the parents' names. IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0 Southwest Europe Search Results | Download -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nicometo Perazzo Pedigree Male Family ----------------...
by adifresco
03 Nov 2007, 14:17
Topic: Surname Perazzo?
Replies: 21
Views: 15382

Re: Surname Perazzo?

Here are some records I found in the 1891-1948 New York City Death Index, however none of the ages match up with the other records, especially not Jennie or Nichola. Should I request one of these death certificates anyway? Perazzo, Nick Age 33 y Death date: Jan 14 1916 Certificate Number: 1390 Kings...