Search found 6 matches

by TomFromNJ
14 Nov 2008, 03:27
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Occupation - 1820s Puglia
Replies: 16
Views: 15902

Re: Occupation - 1820s Puglia

My hero too. Who knew that you can access an Italian - English dictionary online from the 1890s. Amazing.

Thanks!
:D
by TomFromNJ
13 Nov 2008, 01:07

Hi Meticulous:

Yes, the records are from relatives. But, I'm pretty sure the occupation in question is Salnitraro or Salnitraio rather than Sacerdote. I couldn't find anything similar to Salnitraro in any of the lists of occupations that I found in books or on line.

Tom
by TomFromNJ
11 Nov 2008, 02:40
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Corato - history, culture, web sites in English
Replies: 14
Views: 22119

Re: Corato - history, culture, web sites in English

Hi Blastella: Where in Queens did you grow up. My great-grandmother Angela Leone was born in Corato and then moved to Gravina in Puglia. Her brother Vincenzo Leone was also born in Corato, moved to Gravina and then moved with his family to NYC around 1904. They lived first in Manhattan and then in Q...
by TomFromNJ
11 Nov 2008, 02:37
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: CAROSELLA/CAROSELLI
Views: 23504

Re: CAROSELLA/CAROSELLI

For what its worth I have a many Caroselli in my family tree. All were born and lived in Gravina in Puglia. Paolo Caroselli was probably born in the early 1700s. His son was Emmanuale. Any thoughts on what the name means?

Tom
by TomFromNJ
10 Nov 2008, 23:44

Hi Peter and Ada: Thanks! I think you got it. The handwritting was hard to read - but I think Salnitraro or Salnitraio makes sense now that I re-look at the records. Furthermore, I was looking at some other records and found another relative with the same occupation! I never heard of someone who &qu...
by TomFromNJ
10 Nov 2008, 00:44

Occupation - 1820s Puglia

Hello All:

I am trying to determine what the occupation of a ggg-grandfather is...It is listed on a number of birth records from the 1820s in Gravina in Puglia. The occupation is listed as:

"Salvitraro"

Does anyone recognize this?

Thanks,
Tom